Eternacon/2018/Committee Meeting Chat Logs/5-9-2018

From Eterna Wiki

LFP6: ‎All right, hey all time for our weekly Eternacon chat‎[4:03 PM]

Astromon: ‎cool ‎[4:03 PM]

LFP6: ‎mgotrik should be joining us in a bit ‎[4:04 PM]

LFP6: ‎Haven’t heard from Jen, interestingly, but hopefully she’ll drop in ‎[4:04 PM]

LFP6: ‎But, at any rate, we’ve confirmed August 11-12 is the date we’ll shoot for ‎[4:04 PM]

whbob: ‎That’s a good start‎[4:05 PM]

LFP6: ‎So we’re going to need to start looking at reservations and such ‎[4:05 PM]

LFP6: ‎And putting out the registration form ‎[4:05 PM]

LFP6: ‎Also still haven’t fixed the wiki, so I really need to do that so that we can put all the info up‎[4:06 PM]

Astromon: ‎okay ‎[4:08 PM]

Astromon: ‎11 12 is good!‎[4:09 PM]

LFP6: ‎Eternacon slide on the main page will show up soon‎[4:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎Thanks to Sharif ‎[4:11 PM]

Astromon: ‎sweet ‎[4:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’m guessing for timing we’ll want to keep it consistent with years past ‎[4:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎Will need to figure out when the registration cutoff will be, which I’ll want Jen’s advice on‎[4:13 PM]

Astromon: ‎indeed ‎[4:13 PM]

LFP6: ‎From there we’ll just need to nail down our presenters and work with Sharif to get graphics‎[4:16 PM]

LFP6: ‎Can’t really go into much more detail without Jen and Michael here… ‎[4:17 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’ll wait a bit to see if they drop in ‎[4:17 PM]

Astromon: ‎did rujhu ever respond to our question of who he knows will be speaking‎[4:18 PM]

Astromon: ‎he new all about a bunch last year ‎[4:18 PM]

LFP6: ‎He recognized it, but hasn’t provided specific people ywt ‎[4:19 PM]

LFP6: ‎*suggested specific people ‎[4:19 PM]

Astromon: ‎cool so i assume hes building that list ‎[4:19 PM]

LFP6: ‎Presumably. I should probably get back in touch within the next couple weeks‎[4:19 PM]

whbob: ‎did any additional reply’s come in? re: the poll you sent ‎[4:21 PM]

LFP6: ‎Only a couple ‎[4:21 PM]

LFP6: ‎Nothing significant to change the date ‎[4:21 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎Hi, coming here for a bit ‎[4:23 PM]

whbob: ‎hi ‎[4:24 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎@LFP6, could you send the poll again? I forgot to answer it ‎[4:24 PM]

Astromon: ‎hi masterS ‎[4:24 PM]

LFP6: ‎Master: ‎[4:24 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎Thanks!‎[4:24 PM]

LFP6: ‎All right. Mgotrik is here and Jen will be coming momentarily ‎[4:28 PM]

mgotrik: ‎yup im in ‎[4:29 PM]

mgotrik: ‎just caught up on chat‎[4:29 PM]

LFP6: ‎Michael - Have you looked at the todo list we have set up yet? ‎[4:29 PM]

Astromon: ‎cooL hello mgottrik‎[4:29 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎Hi ‎[4:29 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎@lfp6 I will answer tomorrow, I need to ask for the date of a trip ‎[4:30 PM]

mgotrik: ‎LFP - i have not, where do I find this? ‎[4:30 PM]

mgotrik: ‎Hi everyone! ‎[4:31 PM]

whbob: ‎hi ‎[4:30 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Master We have August 11-12 scheduled btw ‎[4:30 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Mgotrik ‎[4:31 PM]

LFP6: ‎We’ll need you to help with stuff in Facilities, Travel/Accommodations, and Funding in particular ‎[4:31 PM]

LFP6: ‎IE reserving the room, catering, hotels, etc ‎[4:31 PM]

mgotrik: ‎alright i should be able to handle that ‎[4:33 PM]

Astromon: ‎is the cardinal available this year? ‎[4:33 PM]

LFP6: ‎Will wait for Jennifer to go into a little bit more detail‎[4:33 PM]

Astromon: ‎i think that was the name ‎[4:33 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Astro Will need to figure that out ‎[4:33 PM]

LFP6: ‎In the past we’ve used the Cardinal and the Stanford Guest House ‎[4:34 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’m not 100% sure which we prefer given available capacity ‎[4:35 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎hi ‎[4:36 PM]

LFP6: ‎Heya! ‎[4:36 PM]

Astromon: ‎hey jen! ‎[4:37 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jen Have any thoughts about where we should start work? ‎[4:37 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎for todays meeting? ‎[4:37 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yup ‎[4:37 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’ve gone over the current status ‎[4:38 PM]

Astromon: ‎11-12* (: ‎[4:38 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎well we have the date set so we should hammer out the room today ‎[4:39 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎and get teh room reserved by next week and then send out registration letters ‎[4:39 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎lets figure out who will take care of what when it comes time to send those out‎[4:39 PM]

LFP6: ‎Should probably figure out Cardinal vs Stanford Guest house too ‎[4:39 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe get them ready ahead of time ‎[4:40 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎yep ‎[4:40 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i would go with cheapest and closest to the room ‎[4:40 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎who all is here today? ‎[4:40 PM]

LFP6: ‎Michael, Astro, Master, Whbob, and myself so far I believe ‎[4:41 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎Hi Jen ‎[4:41 PM]

mgotrik: ‎^ ‎[4:41 PM]

whbob: ‎hi jen ‎[4:41 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎hi everyone‎[4:42 PM]

LFP6: ‎As far as room, this would be… Different ‎[4:42 PM]

LFP6: ‎Might be too small‎[4:42 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎mgotrik can you get eh room reserved adn take care of teh reservations for the rooms ‎[4:42 PM]

LFP6: ‎Doesn’t look to have Zoom built in either ‎[4:42 PM]

Astromon: ‎this new lab is very interesting, (sry off topic) (:‎[4:42 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i think LKH is the favorite ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎or is it LKS‎[4:43 PM]

LFP6: ‎LKS 120 is probably the way to go if we can get it ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎I agree ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎lets go for that one ‎[4:43 PM]

LFP6: ‎@mgotrik ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎I am not sure about what hotel to get reservations at ‎[4:44 PM]

Astromon: ‎sounds good‎[4:44 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jennifer The Cardinal and the Stanford Guest House are what we’ve used before‎[4:44 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎which is cheaper ‎[4:45 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎and lcoser to LKS ‎[4:45 PM]

mgotrik: ‎wont we need to know ~ how many are coming before booking a block of rooms?‎[4:45 PM]

LFP6: ‎Let me look at what we wrote last year ‎[4:45 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i thnk we can adjust the block later ‎[4:45 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎@LFP6 It feels too big imho, although I don’t really have much to compare it too ‎[4:45 PM]

LFP6: ‎I think we’ve set aside like 15-20 in the past? ‎[4:45 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Master It gets smaller when you’re in there, based on my experience a couple years ago ‎[4:46 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎sounds good them ‎[4:46 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎then* ‎[4:46 PM]

LFP6: ‎We’d be around a third of room capacity, which means you have space to spread out‎[4:46 PM]

LFP6: ‎And don’t have to use the chairs in the back or very front if people don’t want to ‎[4:47 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎audio was not as much of a nightmare in that room as well ‎[4:47 PM]

Astromon: ‎all attendees should get a pc ‎[4:47 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe we can check some out form Stanford‎[4:47 PM]

whbob: ‎the guest house needs a code for reservations. I think that they need a request from someone at Stanford ‎[4:47 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Whbob yep ‎[4:48 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Astro We reserve laptops with the room. I think 1 per attendee may be overkill though ‎[4:48 PM]

whbob: ‎160/rm for 1 ‎[4:48 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jennifer The Cardinal is cheaper, but SGH is closer‎[4:48 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎of course‎[4:48 PM]

LFP6: ‎Per last year‎[4:49 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎how mcuh closer ‎[4:49 PM]

LFP6: ‎I can look, just a sec‎[4:49 PM]

LFP6: ‎The Cardinal is a 1.7 mile drive… SGH actually says 2.2‎[4:50 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎are people ok with the shared bath? ‎[4:51 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i personal hate those ‎[4:51 PM]

whbob: ‎is there a shuttle or something ‎[4:51 PM]

Astromon: ‎quick question- where are the eternacon chat sessions being stored? ‎[4:51 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Whbob Last year I think it was just carpooling ‎[4:52 PM]

MasterStormer: ‎Gtg to sleep; bye! ‎[4:52 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Astro They will be on the wiki ‎[4:52 PM]

LFP6: ‎…once I fix the broken recaptcha ‎[4:52 PM]

Astromon: ‎ok ‎[4:52 PM]

Astromon: ‎aH ok ‎[4:52 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i say go with the cardinal if we dont care about having to share a bath ‎[4:52 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’ve been prepping for AP exams, so haven’t gotten around to it ‎[4:52 PM]

Astromon: ‎i rem something about google docs ‎[4:52 PM]

Astromon: ‎thats cool ty ‎[4:53 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yeah we had discussed that ‎[4:53 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎but i would personally prefer my own bath sooooo ‎[4:53 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jennifer actually maybe we should just GDoc everything and point that to the wiki once it gets fixed ‎[4:53 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jennifer ¯_(ツ)_/¯‎[4:53 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we should get eh wiki’s up soon ‎[4:54 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎lets do what you suggested about google docing everything for now ‎[4:54 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎We can post links to teh wikli once it is up and running ‎[4:54 PM]

Astromon: ‎cyn said he felt a bit left out w/o a pc last year and imo would greatly improve the whole eternacon experience with everyone with a pc, although i completely understand if it is just not possible due to resources whatever. ‎[4:55 PM]

LFP6: ‎We were supposed to have gotten laptops ‎[4:55 PM]

LFP6: ‎Dunno what the deal was with that ‎[4:56 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe they did not want to leave them in an unlocked room ‎[4:56 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Doe snayone have an opinion about a the hotel having a shared bath vrs room with own bath? ‎[4:57 PM]

LFP6: ‎Dunno, but @mgotrik can request them with the room‎[4:57 PM]

mgotrik: ‎request laptops or bathrooms? ‎[4:57 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎for cost I would say go with Cardninal unless others have an opinion ‎[4:57 PM]

LFP6: ‎Laptops ‎[4:57 PM]

Astromon: ‎own bath is always better. (: ‎[4:57 PM]

LFP6: ‎We also need to request Zoom streaming ‎[4:57 PM]

mgotrik: ‎yeah was just looking at options ‎[4:57 PM]

LFP6: ‎And I don’t remember what the deal is with catering‎[4:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎and also need to request housekeeping‎[4:58 PM]

LFP6: ‎Oh yeah ‎[4:58 PM]

mgotrik: ‎stanford has a zoom licensing agreement so that shouldnt be an issue ‎[4:58 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yeah, it just needs to be ticked off on the form ‎[4:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we would need to request teh video services when we reseeve teh room‎[4:58 PM]

Astromon: ‎house keeping #1 priority this year :D ‎[4:58 PM]

LFP6: ‎Iirc last year we used someone else for catering, but I also remember having to use Stanford catering ‎[4:58 PM]

LFP6: ‎Do you remember what the deal was there Jen? ‎[4:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎anyone else have an poinion on room. Based on Astro’s comment I say go with SGH unless anyone else has other thoughts ‎[4:59 PM]

LFP6: ‎Re: Bathrooms I personally don’t care. That said I’m also the one going to college next year :P ‎[4:59 PM]

Astromon: ‎thats my opinion although im not going ‎[4:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i think we used the cafe on campus ‎[4:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎last year ‎[5:00 PM]

LFP6: ‎"All catering in the LKSC, with the exception of approved student groups, must be scheduled with Catering at LKSC (650-725-6883 or email There is no restriction on vendors for rooms in other buildings. ‎[5:00 PM]

LFP6: ‎" ‎[5:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎I usualyy get a room via Expedia as a package deal and the room ends up beinhg around 100 a night‎[5:00 PM]

LFP6: ‎SGH probably doesn’t let you do that though ‎[5:01 PM]

LFP6: ‎Granted the Cardinal may not either ‎[5:01 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎ive been staying at teh same place a littel ways down from teh event ‎[5:01 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎looks like catering is resricted with LKS‎[5:02 PM]

LFP6: ‎They do say “schedule” though… We can check ‎[5:02 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎They had good food that year so not an issue i think ‎[5:02 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yeah ‎[5:02 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Lets get LKS reserved along with rooms at SGH. Making sure to request video service and laptops ‎[5:03 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we can do catering latter when we know our headcount better ‎[5:03 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎everyone cool with that ‎[5:04 PM]

whbob: ‎yep ‎[5:04 PM]

LFP6: ‎We will need to specify catering with the reservation, but yeah ‎[5:04 PM]

LFP6: ‎*Just that we’ll have it‎[5:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎@mgotrik You got that about the reservtions?‎[5:05 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎including catering ‎[5:05 PM]

Astromon: ‎sounds good to me< ‎[5:05 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎@mgotrik you there? ‎[5:07 PM]

mgotrik: ‎teah i can do that‎[5:08 PM]

mgotrik: ‎sry ‎[5:08 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎np ‎[5:09 PM]

mgotrik: ‎LKSC 120 specify we want catering ‎[5:09 PM]

LFP6: ‎And Zoom, and Laptops‎[5:09 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎can you post an update in Slack #General when it is done ‎[5:09 PM]

LFP6: ‎How many laptops do we want btw? 5? ‎[5:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎10? ‎[5:10 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎as many as we can get ‎[5:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎They ask for a number‎[5:10 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we wants all the laptops ‎[5:10 PM]

Astromon: ‎agreed ‎[5:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎lol ‎[5:10 PM]

Astromon: ‎haha ‎[5:10 PM]

mgotrik: ‎well with Zoom can’t we just set that up on a main laptop? or do you want filming from a separate camera?‎[5:10 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎LKS has built in video system ‎[5:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎the room we ahd last year did not ‎[5:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yup ‎[5:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎The room has a camera built in ‎[5:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we wouldhave had to get a camera crew last year ‎[5:11 PM]

Astromon: ‎sweet ‎[5:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎So say yes to Zoom/videoconferencing, but no to A/V assistance ‎[5:12 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎woudl A/V asistance be a bad thing ‎[5:12 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe that would be good siince we are trying to make the events more professional ‎[5:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎Not even available on the weekends ‎[5:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎iirc ‎[5:12 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎I am kinda tired of running around making the stuff work… ‎[5:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎That’s fair ‎[5:13 PM]

LFP6: ‎If available, it might not be a bad idea, but it might not be available ‎[5:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎not comlaining though ‎[5:13 PM]

mgotrik: ‎i will check it out and lyk ‎[5:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎can you FWD the responses to me and LFP6’s email as well. ‎[5:14 PM]

mgotrik: ‎yes, stanford emails?‎[5:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i dont have a stanford email ‎[5:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎would be cool if i did ‎[5:15 PM]

LFP6: ‎@mgotrik I’ll PM you the emails ‎[5:16 PM]

mgotrik: ‎kk ‎[5:16 PM]

mgotrik: ‎anything else? ‎[5:16 PM]

LFP6: ‎That’s top priority, I think we’ll move on to the next bits next week ‎[5:16 PM]

LFP6: ‎As we can ‎[5:16 PM]

LFP6: ‎Oh BTW Jen, any chance you could admin me on the Eternacon Slack? ‎[5:17 PM]

LFP6: ‎If you’re open to that‎[5:17 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎arnt you?‎[5:17 PM]

mgotrik: ‎alright well i gtg check on some things ‎[5:17 PM]

LFP6: ‎Mmmm, don’t think so @Jen ‎[5:18 PM]

LFP6: ‎Thanks for the help @mgotrik! ‎[5:18 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎thanks mgotrik‎[5:18 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎have a good day and thanks for the help ‎[5:18 PM]

mgotrik: ‎bye! msg me on slack if i need anything more ‎[5:18 PM]

Astromon: ‎tHANKS MG ‎[5:18 PM]

whbob: ‎thanks mg ‎[5:18 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎next week we will set up responsibilities for getting registration stuff out the door ‎[5:19 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’ll try to get wiki stuff working by next week ‎[5:19 PM]

LFP6: ‎Then we have a shot at copying over the form and news article and putting the slide lvie‎[5:19 PM]

LFP6: ‎*live ‎[5:19 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎cool ‎[5:21 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i have to get back to work. Working on coding up image analysis s in c#… its hurting my brain ‎[5:21 PM]

LFP6: ‎Sounds fun! ‎[5:21 PM]

LFP6: ‎Enjoy :) ‎[5:22 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎fun by painfull‎[5:22 PM]

Astromon: ‎have a good one jen! ‎[5:22 PM]

whbob: ‎bye jen ‎[5:22 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎bye everyone see you all next week ‎[5:22 PM]

whbob: ‎SGH says there is transportation on week ends, but maybe not in August?‎[5:24 PM]

LFP6: ‎All else fails we can carpool ‎[5:24 PM]

whbob: ‎maybe michael can ask?‎[5:24 PM]