Eternacon/2018/Committee Meeting Chat Logs/5-16-2018

From Eterna Wiki

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Lets start the Eternacon meeting ‎[4:05 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎the forms have been submitted to reserve the room and get AV assistance ‎[4:06 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we have not received cofirmation that we have the rooms yet though ‎[4:06 PM]

Astromon: ‎cool ‎[4:06 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎until we have that confirmation and the confirmation on the hotel we cant really do much in the way of registration prep ‎[4:07 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎lets figure out what type of presentations/activities we want ‎[4:08 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎every year we have a fun activity and was hoping we could figure out what that should be ‎[4:08 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎what do you all think about comming up with a list of stuff we would like to see and then posting that asking for presenters vs having people present what they want to without promptig ‎[4:09 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎prompting ‎[4:09 PM]

Astromon: ‎bob for rna apple G and C mostly ‎[4:09 PM]

Jieux: ‎Pie eating contest. ‎[4:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎@Jennifer I see nothing wrong with going both routes ‎[4:10 PM]

Jieux: ‎bobbing for proteins? ‎[4:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎Hehe ‎[4:10 PM]

LFP6: ‎We did Eterna Jepordy the first year ‎[4:11 PM]

Astromon: ‎besides puzzle solving contest (: ‎[4:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎Last couple years its been puzzle solving ‎[4:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎those were fun ‎[4:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎Maybe we could do a twist on puzzle solving? ‎[4:11 PM]

LFP6: ‎IDK ‎[4:12 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎waht kind of twist ‎[4:12 PM]

Astromon: ‎twist is good ‎[4:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎I feel like there was something someone mentioned last year… ‎[4:12 PM]

LFP6: ‎Maybe its in slack or a chat archive ‎[4:12 PM]

Astromon: ‎how about a new badge for the winner this year! ‎[4:13 PM]

tomoedachii: ‎ooooh ‎[4:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎anywho LFP6 can you compile a list of players who have volunteered to give a presentation so far and what they want to do or is that in the tasks spreedsheet already? ‎[4:14 PM]

Astromon: ‎and 1000 points!!! ‎[4:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎new badge would be cool ‎[4:14 PM]

LFP6: ‎I can do that - we didn’t get a ton of details about topics though ‎[4:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎even if there are no topics given we can ask them if they want to preent on something we come up with today ‎[4:15 PM]

Astromon: ‎true that jen ‎[4:15 PM]

mgotrik: ‎hey all sorry im late, here now ‎[4:16 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎hi mgotrik ‎[4:16 PM]

Astromon: ‎hey micheal ‎[4:16 PM]

whbob: ‎hi ‎[4:16 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we were just talking about what events we would like to see at eternacon this year ‎[4:16 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎fun stuff and presentations ‎[4:17 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we want o compile a list and ask people to present on one of them ‎[4:17 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Lets discuss presentations first and we can work out the fun activity later ‎[4:17 PM]

mgotrik: ‎kk just read through everything ‎[4:17 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎so what type of presentations do we want to see/ topics ‎[4:18 PM]

Astromon: ‎eterna score , vs eterna change and other data we are unfamilar with ‎[4:19 PM]

Astromon: ‎fold change* ‎[4:19 PM]

Astromon: ‎just to throw something out (: ‎[4:20 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎so a presentation on how fold change works and what seams to be the best and worst of different designs? ‎[4:20 PM]

Jieux: ‎Would like to see a presentation on folding realities of single state puzzles and how well we can design specific shapes from scratch. ‎[4:20 PM]

Astromon: ‎sure, and other data reading on, off all those ‎[4:20 PM]

mgotrik: ‎id bet rhiju would like to give a talk on the big picture views of eterna ‎[4:21 PM]

mgotrik: ‎as in the types of puzzles he hopes to see in the future ‎[4:22 PM]

whbob: ‎yes, global fold change vs fold change etc ‎[4:22 PM]

Astromon: ‎i dunno if omie or eli is in the list but they seem to be the most knowledgable players for this i think ‎[4:22 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎@Jieux that sounds interesting. So something about how well we can desing single state designs form scratch that work on teh first try? ‎[4:22 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Eli is very private and has stated he does not want ot present in the previous years ‎[4:23 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we could ask but I ma guessing he will say no ‎[4:23 PM]

Astromon: ‎oH ok ‎[4:23 PM]

whbob: ‎maybe someone could talk about the mutation generator and how best to use it? ‎[4:25 PM]

Astromon: ‎I presented that last year<< :D ‎[4:25 PM]

Jieux: ‎Feel free to drag out my triple switch guide again, but you have to include the copyright infringing video at the end. ‎[4:26 PM]

Astromon: ‎haha ‎[4:27 PM]

Jieux: ‎or pay for the music synch license in lieu of my travel budget… I’m sure a Led Zep tune for educational purpopses would not be too expensive. ‎[4:27 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎not sure if we could do that but we could ask if you are serious ‎[4:28 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎are you coming this year Jieux? ‎[4:28 PM]

Jieux: ‎It would be fun :) Anyway, have to go pick up my kid from school… I support whatever you think will be fun and educational… doubtful I can make it, but will attend virtually for parts of it I’m sure. ‎[4:29 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎or would you like ot present you tripple swithc guide via the internet ‎[4:29 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎how about presenting your guide remotly ‎[4:29 PM]

Jieux: ‎It’s self contained, I’m not necessary… just hit play :) ‎[4:29 PM]

Jieux: ‎Have to go Jennifer… LFP6… All labcoats and labrats… feel free to send me a PM ‎[4:30 PM]

Jieux: ‎keep it fun! ‎[4:30 PM]

Astromon: ‎seeya Jx ‎[4:31 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎can you send us a link to your guide? ‎[4:31 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎by jieux have a good day ‎[4:31 PM]

Astromon: ‎.giudes ‎[4:31 PM]

Astromon: ‎.guides ‎[4:31 PM]

LinkBot: ‎ ‎[4:31 PM]

LFP6: ‎Would be nice to have him come in person if at all possible ‎[4:31 PM]

LFP6: ‎We keep trying :] ‎[4:32 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎sure would ‎[4:32 PM]

Astromon: ‎[4:32 PM]

Astromon: ‎jen^ jx guide ‎[4:32 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎looksl ike my guides link is broken… ‎[4:32 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Ive been gone a bit so are there any new types of switches that we would like people to tlak about ‎[4:34 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎or maybe more lessons learned from the TB rounds? ‎[4:34 PM]

Astromon: ‎new aptamer per new labs ‎[4:35 PM]

Astromon: ‎spinach, MGA ‎[4:35 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎That would be cool to have people talk about the new aptamers and what they have ntoiced about them ‎[4:35 PM]

Astromon: ‎andrew came up with a great way to solve the hard tb lab ‎[4:36 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎it would be great if Andrew could making it again and present a bit ‎[4:36 PM]

Astromon: ‎i already asked if he would present he said the guide he drew up is all he’s doing w/ it ‎[4:36 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎if this different than last year ‎[4:36 PM]

Astromon: ‎yes its different ‎[4:37 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎so would we be interested in presentin ghtat guide or do we need someone else to present for him ‎[4:37 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎would love for him to present his guide ‎[4:37 PM]

Astromon: ‎[4:37 PM]

Astromon: ‎thats it^ ‎[4:38 PM]

Astromon: ‎has pictures and everything ‎[4:38 PM]

Astromon: ‎prob need to get some one else to present it is the feel i got ‎[4:38 PM]

Astromon: ‎i dont quite understand it enough to present myself< ‎[4:39 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎Astro can you ask him if it is cool if we have someone else present it for him if he does not want to? ‎[4:40 PM]

Astromon: ‎sure ‎[4:40 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe get a recomendation ‎[4:40 PM]

Astromon: ‎good idea ‎[4:40 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎maybe Rhiju can convince him to come… ‎[4:41 PM]

LFP6: ‎He’s done it once before! ‎[4:42 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎LFP6 can you get ahold of rhiju and ask him if he can try to convince Andrew ‎[4:42 PM]

Astromon: ‎haha ‎[4:43 PM]

LFP6: ‎Will do ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎great thanks ‎[4:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎anyone have any other ideas? ‎[4:44 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎do we want to ask people to tlak about switches in general? ‎[4:44 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎and single state designs? ‎[4:44 PM]

Astromon: ‎did you find anymore data about ED levels jen ‎[4:44 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i have sadly not been able to do anything. As soon as I got back last year I started working on coding up tweaks to the NUPACK side of my software to make an API out of it and then rolled directly into school ‎[4:45 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i have not done a thing ‎[4:46 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎it makes me very sad and I want to squite school because of it ‎[4:46 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎havnt even finished my NUPACK work ‎[4:46 PM]

Astromon: ‎aww its ok some projects take longer than others is all ‎[4:46 PM]

Astromon: ‎you have to do whats most important for you (: ‎[4:47 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎yeah but Eterna is feels more important than school. although once I finish school my pay will increase alot ‎[4:47 PM]

Astromon: ‎I know what you mean, eterna is important to me too ‎[4:48 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎ but i hate doing things just for money…makes me feel dirty ‎[4:48 PM]

AndrewKae: ‎Hi Jen and Astro ‎[4:48 PM]

whbob: ‎I’ve never used Nupack, maybe someone could run through it for a presentation? ‎[4:48 PM]

Astromon: ‎you can do good though with some money :D ‎[4:48 PM]

LFP6: ‎I’ve only been able to work half as much as I wanted to on Eterna since I’ve been hired due to school. That will go up by like a factor of 10 this summer :P ‎[4:48 PM]

Astromon: ‎Hi Andre ‎[4:49 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎NUPACK is neccessary if your modeling anyhting over 2 states since Vienna does not support more than 2 states ‎[4:49 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎hi andrew ‎[4:49 PM]

Astromon: ‎aH yes it has many inputs ‎[4:49 PM]

LFP6: ‎I thought it was number of oligos ‎[4:49 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎yes it s the number of oligos ‎[4:50 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎sorry ‎[4:50 PM]

Astromon: ‎the other models cant do those calculations ‎[4:50 PM]

AndrewKae: ‎I sent the form in for eternacon, and I am willing to present ‎[4:50 PM]

LFP6: ‎Sweet ‎[4:50 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎yay!!! ‎[4:50 PM]

Astromon: ‎great! ‎[4:50 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎thanks Andre! ‎[4:50 PM]

AndrewKae: ‎should be better this time, and you aare welcome ‎[4:50 PM]

Astromon: ‎i enjoyed last years and glad you have more findings now to share! ‎[4:51 PM]

Astromon: ‎Ive spent most of my time working those hard puzzles ,the last few years and still know only a fraction of what i need to know< ‎[4:52 PM]

Astromon: ‎so far we have ABC hard puzzles and solving puzzle session ‎[4:53 PM]

Astromon: ‎i wonder if hog would like to present some more things about switches maybe ‎[4:54 PM]

Astromon: ‎I bet TD has a few more presentations in that brain of his :D ‎[4:55 PM]

whbob: ‎they had great presentations ‎[4:56 PM]

Astromon: ‎yup, so did you ‎[4:56 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎ok lets discuss fun events for ainut before we end the meeting ‎[4:57 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎a minute ‎[4:57 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎im trying to get enough computers for 2-4 poeple teams ‎[4:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i thik it would be fu if we could have a team event ‎[4:58 PM]

mgotrik: ‎what might be cool would be to have a bunch of mini presentations by players. people could present ideas they have, suggestions, etc.‎[4:59 PM]

mgotrik: ‎like just 10-15mins ‎[5:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎so like a session for anyone to come up and ask questions and see who has the answere ‎[5:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎and maybe present little things they have noticed? ‎[5:00 PM]

LFP6: ‎We also typically have a “dev chat” session, if you were referring to that ‎[5:00 PM]

LFP6: ‎Though this does sound a little different ‎[5:01 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎i think it is a bit different ‎[5:01 PM]

mgotrik: ‎just if somebody has an idea for a type of puzzle, changes to the UI, etc. ‎[5:02 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎we could put it just before break so that if it goes long or short we cna adjust our time accordingly ‎[5:02 PM]

mgotrik: ‎or if they just want to talk about a certain puzzle they made that they find interesting hah ‎[5:02 PM]

mgotrik: ‎i bet some people would be down, just to get a little practice speaking to groups ‎[5:02 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎that sounds like a good idea ‎[5:02 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎a open mic session if you will ‎[5:02 PM]

LFP6: ‎We could expand our final session to be more in that direction perhaps ‎[5:03 PM]

LFP6: ‎It’d probably have some overlap ‎[5:03 PM]

Astromon: ‎sounds good ‎[5:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎yeah the first day tends to be knowledge heavy and the 2nd day is more admin stuff ‎[5:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎would be goot ot an some knowedge stuff ot the end of the day ‎[5:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎so i have got to go back to work ‎[5:05 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎LFP6 can you create the cht log form todays chat ‎[5:06 PM]

LFP6: ‎Yup ‎[5:06 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎ive been taking some notes and have it in the eternacon folder on google drive ‎[5:06 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎basically just cut and paste of ideas ‎[5:06 PM]

LFP6: ‎Great ‎[5:06 PM]

LFP6: ‎Since I’m done with APs I’m really hoping I can fix the Wiki this year ‎[5:06 PM]

LFP6: ‎*this week ‎[5:06 PM]

LFP6: ‎lol ‎[5:06 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎lol ‎[5:07 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ‎see you all later and happy folding ‎[5:07 PM]