Eternacon/2017/Committee Meeting Chat Logs/9-13-2017

From Eterna Wiki

LFP6: Hey all, it's time for the weekly Eternacon chat! [8:00 PM]

LFP6: FYI, Rhiju will be helping us out while Johan is occupied with family [8:01 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: hi [8:02 PM]

LFP6: We got the registration form out last week, and submissions are starting to filter in [8:03 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: I never got one [8:03 PM]

LFP6: Was in a news post [8:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: oh [8:04 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i should know that [8:04 PM]

LFP6: Which reminds me, I still need to send out emails to the people who filled out the original form! [8:04 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju, what will be the process specifically for determining funding amounts? Who will be in charge of that? It would be nice to have a relatively quick turnaround, but I didn't want to start making contacts myself until I got the chance to ask [8:04 PM]

rhiju: hi everyone [8:05 PM]

rhiju: amanda will be helping with reimbursements [8:06 PM]

rhiju: i can ask her tmrw what a funding cap could be per person [8:06 PM]

rhiju: and what process will be most convenient for her and the attendee [8:07 PM]

LFP6: I have the Eternacon email, so I imagine I'll have to get the password to her at some point [8:07 PM]

rhiju: yes, that would be great [8:08 PM]

LFP6: Not sure what the best way is to do that from a security perspective [8:08 PM]

rhiju: do it by slack private message [8:08 PM]

LFP6: Ok [8:08 PM]

rhiju: generally our policy should be that we can cover hotel at eternacon negotiated rate if player is coming from further than 1 hour drive [8:09 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: it would be good to know what the spending cap is for each person [8:09 PM]

rhiju: and we can cover coach/economy airfare for US; contact me specially for international. [8:09 PM]

rhiju: fpr small travel items (uber/lyft from airport), keep receipts and all will get reimbursed later [8:10 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: what if we upgrade the flight. can we get refunded up to the cost of economy/coach or is it all or nothing? [8:10 PM]

rhiju: and we don't have to set a spending cap beyond that [8:10 PM]

rhiju: further questions can go to the eternacon address [8:10 PM]

rhiju: for now LFP6 please set up the eternacon address to forward to amanda's e-mail (as well as other lead organizers) [8:11 PM]

rhiju: what else do we need to discuss? [8:11 PM]

LFP6: I'd like you to look over the task list [8:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: can you answer my question real quick? [8:11 PM]

LFP6: [8:12 PM]

LFP6: Notably the things that Johan has assigned to him - you'll be picking these up I imagine, so you should reassign them [8:12 PM]

rhiju: hi @jennifer, i think the answer is yes, please get a quote for economy/coach on the same day you purchase your actual tickets. that needs to be confirmed however with stanford/NIH policy [8:13 PM]

LFP6: I'll give edit privileges to you for this and the rest of the Eternacon stuff in Drive - do you want me to add Amanda as well? [8:13 PM]

rhiju: @LFP6 thanks, you rock [8:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ok. thanks. Would I ask Amanda that? [8:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: also hi Rhiju [8:14 PM]

LFP6: rhiju: You want me to add Amanda? [8:14 PM]

rhiju: @jennifer, yes -- please use eternacon mail (LFP6 what is it again?) -- but wait until LFP6 adds Amanda to forwarding [8:14 PM]

LFP6: [8:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ok [8:15 PM]

rhiju: this task list is great [8:18 PM]

rhiju: i need an update from johan to see how far he has got on each task -- will try to get him to do it tonight or tmrw [8:19 PM]

rhiju: and then i can delegate to amanda [8:19 PM]

LFP6: Hm, the form submissions seem to be notifying myself instead of the Eternacon Gmail [8:19 PM]

LFP6: Ah, I have an idea... [8:19 PM]

rhiju: and also sharif ezzat, eterna's graphics mastermind, is onboard for helping out with some stuff [8:19 PM]

LFP6: Great! [8:20 PM]

rhiju: that might include physical badges, posters, t-shirts, and banners [8:20 PM]

rhiju: i will confirm tmrw [8:20 PM]

rhiju: i will confirm on eternacon slack [8:20 PM]

LFP6: Did you want me to add Amanda as an editor on the stuff in Drive? [8:20 PM]

rhiju: i have added her as editor to the task list doc [8:21 PM]

rhiju: please add her to the rest [8:21 PM]

LFP6: Will do [8:21 PM]

rhiju: other things that come to mind are inviting speakers for science stuff [8:21 PM]

LFP6: Yes. I'll be reaching out to players to confirm their presentations as well [8:22 PM]

rhiju: given that the in-person audience may be small, i don't think we can pull in the 'big names' -- they will expect many more people [8:22 PM]

rhiju: but i think i can get allies of eterna -- scientists who already 'get it' -- to come in or give science talks virtually [8:23 PM]

Zanna: :D [8:24 PM]

rhiju: here's what i was thinking -- someone from the CRISPR side (perhaps including ethics), someone from the TB side, and maybe a science game person [8:24 PM]

LFP6: Many people really wanted to see someone talking about ethics [8:24 PM]

rhiju: for CRISPR, i'll reach out to berkeley IGI, megan hochstrasser is a scientist who runs their blog and thinks a lot about public outreach, and she helped us get set up for CRISPR [8:24 PM]

LFP6: From when we were brainstorming the first week or two [8:24 PM]

rhiju: she thinks and write about ethics quite a bit [8:25 PM]

rhiju: another possibility is a doctor or clinician associated with CRISPR therapy clinical trials here at stanford [8:25 PM]

LFP6: I know ethics is especially important/noted with CRISPR - many people I've spoken to about it have concerns [8:26 PM]

rhiju: ok i've got that on the list [8:26 PM]

LFP6: All sound like good possibilities [8:26 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: it would be great to have someone to talk about ethics [8:26 PM]

rhiju: if we could get more people to show up in person, i could tap david magnus who has been doing a lot of the most inportant writing on this, or even a nobel prize winner who thinks about CRISPR ethics [8:27 PM]

rhiju: but perhaps we can postpone those folks until eternacon has in-person attendance greater than 100 or 200 [8:28 PM]

rhiju: it will happen [8:28 PM]

LFP6: That would be fantastic [8:28 PM]

LFP6: (Definitely think it'll go hand in hand with activity on Eterna itself!) [8:28 PM]

rhiju: for TB, i'll perhaps rope in purvesh khatri again -- he has some interesting gene signatures now for other diseases [8:28 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i think if we told people a nobel laureate was going to be ther they might show up [8:29 PM]

rhiju: or i can bring in a diagnostic person (probably would be someone talking offset from boston) [8:29 PM]

rhiju: *off-site [8:29 PM]

rhiju: so budget about 30 mins each for 4 science talks [8:30 PM]

rhiju: is there a link to a draft schedule? [8:30 PM]

LFP6: Yep! [8:31 PM]

LFP6: [8:31 PM]

rhiju: thanks [8:32 PM]

rhiju: i'd suggest having 3-4 themed sessions [8:32 PM]

rhiju: one on TB & diagnostics [8:32 PM]

rhiju: one on CRISPR & therapeutics [8:32 PM]

rhiju: one on gaming [8:32 PM]

rhiju: maybe two on gaming [8:32 PM]

LFP6: What are you thinking about for gaming? [8:33 PM]

rhiju: please get rid of 'wishlists' [8:33 PM]

rhiju: i really link puzzle run-throughs [8:33 PM]

LFP6: Ah [8:33 PM]

rhiju: i'd love to see a player demo solutions to hard puzzles, including lab puzzles [8:34 PM]

LFP6: By "wishlists" I was referring to the discussion we had in 2015 about suggestions for things we thought needed improvement - is that something you want to limit for now, or just worded differently? [8:34 PM]

rhiju: as well as single-structure & switch puzzles [8:34 PM]

rhiju: let's discuss that more in next weeks [8:35 PM]

rhiju: i've got to run [8:35 PM]

rhiju: but i've got my list of action items! [8:35 PM]

rhiju: if you can save chatlogs somewhere, pelase send me link (or post on slack) -- i can review any discussion that happens after now [8:35 PM]

rhiju: thanks everyone! [8:35 PM]

rhiju: talk to you next week if not before [8:36 PM]

LFP6: Yep, will do! [8:36 PM]

LFP6: Jen, is there anything else you can think of that needs discussion? [8:36 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: um [8:41 PM]

LFP6: Do you know of a checklist from last year? [8:41 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju just posted asking about it in Slack [8:41 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: mostly it was playing by ear [8:42 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i had a checklist as I went along in OneNote [8:42 PM]

LFP6: Did you have one shared with him? [8:42 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: no [8:43 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: [8:46 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: not sure what else needs to be discussed today. im pretty tired right now. sorry [8:51 PM]

LFP6: Yeah, same [8:51 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: can you resend me the links to the task stuff. Ill check and see if ther i snything I can comment on again [8:52 PM]

LFP6: [8:52 PM]

LFP6: I'll ping Cyn to see if he can do some more updates on the invite packet, as we've started to get some additional info [8:53 PM]

LFP6: Oh, something I added [8:53 PM]

LFP6: We need to figure out Saturday dinner at some point [8:54 PM]

LFP6: And it would be good if we can get participants some guidance on how to handle the reimbursements as far as taxes go [8:54 PM]

LFP6: Not really things we can do right now, but an FYI [8:55 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i dont see much i can do. pretty much everything its taken care of just the presenters need to be figure out [8:56 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: and stuff waiting for other stuff to happen [8:57 PM]

LFP6: Haha yeah [8:57 PM]

LFP6: If you're open to it, could you do a couple things for me? [8:57 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: last year I chose the dinner place by looking at t list of close restraunbts and found one i could eat something at with my severe IBS [8:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: that sounded good for everytone else too [8:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: perhapes... [8:58 PM]

LFP6: It would be helpful to have a list of emails and Eterna usernames to PM from the initial interest form [8:58 PM]

LFP6: As well as an email draft and list of emails for people who said they wanted to speak [8:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i could go through the forms and get that tonight [8:59 PM]

LFP6: I can do it, but that would just help to get me moving quicker [8:59 PM]

LFP6: That would be a big help for me [8:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: maybe tommorw if that is ok [8:59 PM]

LFP6: Yep, I need to finish some homework still :D [8:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: cool [8:59 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: can you email me the link again [9:00 PM]

LFP6: mhm [9:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: cool [9:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: im going to go bakc to bengin a commatos statte [9:00 PM]

LFP6: Sent on slack [9:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: got it [9:00 PM]

LFP6: All right, I think we're good [9:00 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: cool [9:00 PM]

LFP6: Thanks for coming tonight! Chat log will be up shortly [9:01 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: see ya later and thanks for taking on Eternacon [9:01 PM]

LFP6: Happy to help! [9:01 PM]