Eternacon/2017/Committee Meeting Chat Logs/8-2-2017

From Eterna Wiki

LFP6: Hey everyone! It's time for this week's Eternacon organization chat [8:12 PM]

whbob: Gremlins in the server? [8:12 PM]

AndrewKae: hi all [8:12 PM]

LFP6: Appears so whbob :) [8:12 PM]

LFP6: I'll start off with a couple quick updates. First off, the Eternacon Wiki page is now up to date: [8:13 PM]

LFP6: I've also updated the task list with some more accurate current statuses [8:14 PM]

LFP6: We're currently sitting at ~31 entries on the form for who's interested in attending [8:14 PM]

Astromon: [8:15 PM]

LFP6: 15 of which who marked that it'll be possible for them to attend in person [8:15 PM]

Astromon: planning meetings are on wednesdays rt? [8:16 PM]

LFP6: Yep, Wednesday at 8 est [8:16 PM]

Astromon: ok it says thursdays [8:16 PM]

LFP6: Except for nights like tonight where the site dissapears for a couple minutes lol [8:16 PM]

LFP6: Wait does it? [8:16 PM]

lroppy: te he [8:16 PM]

Astromon: at the link you posted [8:16 PM]

lroppy: hi folks [8:16 PM]

LFP6: ;( [8:16 PM]

lroppy: I have 15 mins before next work meeting [8:16 PM]

Astromon: Hi Lro :D [8:17 PM]

whbob: Iy is Thursday in teh UK right? [8:17 PM]

whbob: *it [8:17 PM]

Astromon: oH yeah [8:17 PM]

lroppy: in past [8:17 PM]

Astromon: im sure it is my fault [8:17 PM]

lroppy: we defined all times in both one USA time zone [8:17 PM]

LFP6: Fixed [8:18 PM]

lroppy: plus Universal Time [8:18 PM]

LFP6: Now reads "Wednesdays at 5pm PT/8pm ET/12am (Thursday) UTC" [8:18 PM]

lroppy: for folks elsewhere [8:18 PM]

LFP6: Hey lroppy [8:18 PM]

Astromon: cool [8:18 PM]

lroppy: yup [8:18 PM]

lroppy: Mat747 noted this issue previously [8:18 PM]

LFP6: And one last update that's I would consider as leaving the best for last. Johan has stepped up to be our Stanford liason this year! [8:19 PM]

LFP6: I believe he's around tonight [8:19 PM]

lroppy: do we have any clustering of dates that folks can attend [8:19 PM]

LFP6: Very good question [8:19 PM]

Astromon: great to hear [8:19 PM]

lroppy: Yay Johan [8:19 PM]

LFP6: Let me go pull up the spreadsheet [8:19 PM]

lroppy: I would think further away = better [8:20 PM]

lroppy: = chance for us to get this thing organized [8:20 PM]

whbob: Hi lro :) [8:20 PM]

lroppy: hi whbob [8:21 PM]

whbob: It os hard to do with a month or more out, sooner is really hard. [8:22 PM]

lroppy: y [8:22 PM]

Astromon: took 6 momths last year [8:22 PM]

Jieux: Good evening friends! [8:22 PM]

lroppy: yo-J [8:22 PM]

Astromon: Hi .Jieux [8:22 PM]

JieuxBot: How's flips? [8:22 PM]

whbob: The date may depend upon the CRISPR announcement [8:23 PM]

lroppy: any clue for date on that [8:23 PM]

Astromon: yeaH [8:23 PM]

lroppy: even best guess would help us [8:23 PM]

Astromon: i heard it will be kicked off at eternacon [8:23 PM]

Jieux: how's flips Lroppy? [8:23 PM]

Jieux: congrats on the 2Million mark, what was your transition puzzle? [8:23 PM]

johana: I think crispr announcement is set or Aug 21 [8:23 PM]

whbob: hi jieux [8:23 PM]

lroppy: I seem to be provoking hog [8:23 PM]

Jieux: hyea whbob... [8:24 PM]

Astromon: oH day of the total eclipse [8:24 PM]

Jieux: yea don't think hoglahoo's gonna give you the top spot :) [8:24 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju told me that he wanted to use Eternacon to "Kick off" CRISPR, if I understood correctly [8:24 PM]

johana: but Rhiju can probably adjust for Eternacon [8:24 PM]

lroppy: sounds good [8:24 PM]

LFP6: And that was part of where the funding for this year came from [8:24 PM]

johana: I believe so. I think that there is a small portion of a grant that will fund both the crispr challenge and eternacon [8:25 PM]

lroppy: @LFP: any clustering? [8:25 PM]

LFP6: Working on it [8:25 PM]

lroppy: ok [8:25 PM]

Astromon: should wait at least 2 weeks to see the best date for it give players enough time to gain interest and fill the form out [8:27 PM]

LFP6: Clusters: [8:27 PM]

lroppy: maybe 1 more week [8:27 PM]

lroppy: but like the idea [8:27 PM]

Astromon: maybe another news letter with direct form link wouldnt be a bad idfdea [8:27 PM]

Jieux: EteRNAcon South may not happen, sadly. [8:27 PM]

lroppy: folks take vacations in august [8:27 PM]

LFP6: I think we need to make a decision next Wedsnesday [8:28 PM]

whbob: I think flights may be in short supply anytime before mid September. [8:28 PM]

lroppy: hmmm (let's PM) [8:28 PM]

lroppy: they are [8:28 PM]

LFP6: I've seen most of the Eterna regulars fill this out [8:28 PM]

LFP6: Except Hoglahoo :) [8:28 PM]

Astromon: counting last week and to next wend is two weeks (: [8:29 PM]

LFP6: Plus a couple of users I haven't seen before [8:29 PM]

LFP6: I have only seen a couple of the Dev and Lab staff fill it out though [8:29 PM]

Astromon: hmm [8:29 PM]

johana: I would send the lab staff a reminder :-) [8:30 PM]

LFP6: I think Rhiju sent something out - not sure to who [8:30 PM]

lroppy: oct 28-29 [8:30 PM]

lroppy: farthest away [8:30 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju can't make it the first two weeks, which would probably be too soon anyways. Guessing that's out [8:30 PM]

Jieux: afk [8:30 PM]

lroppy: has tie for highest # fo virtual + in person possibles [8:31 PM]

LFP6: I haven't seen JX fill it out either actually [8:31 PM]

lroppy: and lowest cannot make it [8:31 PM]

lroppy: that is why he went afk [8:31 PM]

lroppy: oh [8:31 PM]

lroppy: and me too [8:31 PM]

lroppy: work calls [8:31 PM]

lroppy: late call with Asia [8:31 PM]

lroppy: ttyl [8:31 PM]

AndrewKae: see ya lroppy :) [8:31 PM]

lroppy: set date asap [8:31 PM]

lroppy: bye [8:31 PM]

johana: bye [8:31 PM]

whbob: bye [8:31 PM]

LFP6: Later [8:31 PM]

whbob: So what was Oct.28-29? [8:32 PM]

LFP6: My attendance personally looks like this: [8:32 PM]

LFP6: I'm probably the most restricted since I have marching band in the fall. :) So all those "possible" are really "Sunday only" for me [8:33 PM]

LFP6: But if that's what works out best, so be it [8:33 PM]

LFP6: I'd of course prefer for it to be a weekend I can at least partially attend, particularly because I'd like to push the discussion of platform improvements/OSS/etc [8:34 PM]

johana: OK. I don't know if the survey tells you each persons availability. I tried to indicate [8:34 PM]

LFP6: It does [8:35 PM]

LFP6: I actually color coded everything :) [8:35 PM]

LFP6: Anyone have any other thoughts as far as schedule? [8:37 PM]

LFP6: We'll definitely revisit next week [8:37 PM]

johana: Let's give people a few more days and decide next week. Sounds like a good plan. [8:38 PM]

whbob: Any guess how many are flying? [8:38 PM]

LFP6: Not sure. Only a few have asked for funding though [8:38 PM]

whbob: I was looking at flights from the east coast and there weren't many until mid Sept. last week. [8:39 PM]

Astromon: might be a good target time then [8:41 PM]

whbob: The labs, weekend rooms and CRISPR events all need to come together at the same time. [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Agreed [8:43 PM]

LFP6: How about events? [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Er, sessions [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Has anyone come up with additional things we should look into? [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Seems like there's a decent variety of topics based on the form [8:44 PM]

Astromon: we should look to those [8:44 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju said he could look into finding someone to speak about TB/CRISPR, will need to follow up on that [8:44 PM]

whbob: lessons learned from the TB labs would be nice. [8:45 PM]

Astromon: cool [8:45 PM]

LFP6: Got a couple people interested in future of Eterna/software oriented stuff [8:45 PM]

Astromon: nice [8:46 PM]

AndrewKae: any further discussion on an ethics speaker LFP? [8:46 PM]

LFP6: An obligatory puzzle solving session [8:46 PM]

LFP6: Couple research-esque things [8:46 PM]

LFP6: Andrew: Not yet. Will ask Rhiju about that as well, I think [8:47 PM]

LFP6: Unless you have any thoughts Johan? [8:47 PM]

AndrewKae: ok, thanks [8:47 PM]

LFP6: Not sure if you read the chat log from last week [8:47 PM]

johana: The ideas above make sense. [8:47 PM]

LFP6: We had discussed about looking to get an ethics speaker to talk about CRISPR [8:47 PM]

LFP6: Is Rhiju the right person to find the contacts? [8:48 PM]

johana: I can probably give a talk [8:48 PM]

whbob: Could we eventually clip one of the TB oligo's to eliminate TB? [8:50 PM]

johana: I think that Rhiju is a good person to talk to. He tends to have good contacts and more gravitas than me :-) [8:50 PM]

johana: @whbob. The cool thing about the TB challenge is that the signature is actually from human RNA, in response to an infection [8:50 PM]

johana: It doens't detect TB bacterium directly. [8:51 PM]

AndrewKae: is there any way to update the survey form LFP? [8:51 PM]

LFP6: Yeah, why? [8:51 PM]

AndrewKae: update my responses? [8:51 PM]

LFP6: Yeah [8:51 PM]

AndrewKae: I need to change a date, my son is getting married [8:52 PM]

LFP6: Just let me know what needs to be changed (here, PM, Slack, whatever) [8:52 PM]

LFP6: Aah [8:52 PM]

LFP6: Congrats [8:52 PM]

AndrewKae: ok, thanks [8:52 PM]

LFP6: Ok, so I think we're saying we need to see what contacts Rhiju has as far as additional sessions [8:53 PM]

LFP6: You think we'll have our annual lab tour Johan? [8:53 PM]

whbob: @ johana: I guess I should have said TB gene. [8:54 PM]

johana: Yes [8:54 PM]

Astromon: oH so there has to be an infection first [8:54 PM]

LFP6: The oligo is a marker, not the "cause" of TB if I understand correctly [8:55 PM]

johana: I'd be happy to show you around, as long as I'm able to make the meeting. If not, I'm sure Rhiju can show it [8:55 PM]

LFP6: Great [8:55 PM]

johana: Getting a baby in mid-Sep so count me out around that time. [8:55 PM]

LFP6: Ah [8:55 PM]

LFP6: Indeed [8:56 PM]

Astromon: ha yeah youll be a bit busy D [8:56 PM]

LFP6: I think we're still a little low on sessions. Hopefully a couple more people (ie, devs) who haven't filled out the form yet will be willing to do a couple things [8:56 PM]

johana: yes. [8:57 PM]

johana: I like the google task list. Are all the tasks assigned? [8:57 PM]

LFP6: No, most of them are not [8:57 PM]

LFP6: Many of them will probably have to be delegated to yourself :) [8:57 PM]

LFP6: Notably facilities [8:58 PM]

LFP6: And probably getting materials (shirts, badges, etc) ordered [8:58 PM]

LFP6: And of course funding [8:58 PM]

LFP6: I'll do what I can, but there's limits since I'm not a member of the team, and I'm also still a minor for a little bit longer :) [8:59 PM]

johana: Got it. Actually, Rhiju mentioned that his admin may be able to help with facilities etc. so I'll ask him. [8:59 PM]

LFP6: Nice [8:59 PM]

LFP6: I'm sure if we can spread things out well, we'll be able to improve our efficiency so that the short timeframe won't be as much of an issue [9:00 PM]

johana: Do we have a template for the shirts? Unless you want a big redesign, we may be able to change the previous look and order from the same place. They were quite nice. [9:00 PM]

LFP6: I don't, though I have the "promo" the shirt place sent [9:01 PM]

AndrewKae: brb [9:01 PM]

LFP6: I imagine with the facilities/ordering-esque tasks, you'll want to get in touch with Caleb [9:01 PM]

Astromon: that one rna picture nessa designed would make for a great shirt [9:01 PM]

Astromon: everyone just loves it [9:01 PM]

LFP6: I've started a document detailing the specifics of how everything needs to get done for the con, but there's still a lot of blanks in that area: [9:02 PM]

LFP6: @Astro: I think one of the biggest issues with that would be that it's not a vector image [9:02 PM]

LFP6: Bitmaps don't work great on shirts [9:03 PM]

Astromon: oH ok [9:03 PM]

LFP6: I think a bulk of the work will need to happen once we nail down a date [9:03 PM]

LFP6: IE, we can't reserve a room until we know when we'll be meeting :) [9:04 PM]

johana: Agreed, but it's good to know what each person has to do when the date is set. [9:04 PM]

johana: I unfortunately have to go but I look forward to continuing the conversation next week. [9:05 PM]

LFP6: Maybe this would be a good thing to talk about next week? [9:05 PM]

johana: Yes. Let's finalize the date then and divide the tasks so we can get straight to work. [9:05 PM]

johana: I'm excited :-) [9:05 PM]

LFP6: Sounds good [9:05 PM]

LFP6: Thanks for joining us Johan. I think it's about time that we wrapped up actually [9:06 PM]

LFP6: Also something to keep in mind if you could - theme for this year [9:06 PM]

johana: No problem. I like the slack channel, since it's easy to go back in history. Have all the eternacon organizers signed up? [9:06 PM]

LFP6: I liked Andrew's idea "The Evolution of Eterna" [9:06 PM]

johana: If anyone is in the chat and would like to join the slack channel, I suggest messaging LFP6! [9:07 PM]

LFP6: Though I imagine you could comment a bit on what's been going on around Eterna HQ and what some future plans are Johan [9:07 PM]

LFP6: Yeah, everyone who's offered to help has been given an email invite [9:07 PM]

johana: Sure. The last couple of months have been frustrating since the machine broke down badly and we have been working continuously to get it back in shape to finish the R107 experiments. [9:07 PM]

LFP6: Once we get tasks assigned, that will be where we'll keep communication during the week. Asking questions, providing updates, looking for feedback, etc [9:07 PM]

johana: I think that we have the kissing loop puzzles, but we still have to complete the MS2 puzzles. [9:08 PM]

johana: Hang in there :-) [9:08 PM]

johana: I want the data just as much as the players [9:08 PM]

LFP6: Sorry to hear, and best of luck! [9:08 PM]

LFP6: Thanks for the hard work :) [9:08 PM]

johana: Thanks! [9:08 PM]

johana: See you next week.... [9:08 PM]

Astromon: seeya [9:09 PM]

LFP6: Alright, that's it for tonight. See everyone next week! [9:09 PM]

AndrewKae: bye [9:09 PM]

johana: Thanks for organizing the conference everyone, it's always good to meet players in person! [9:09 PM]

LFP6: Thanks for stepping up to facilitate, couldn't do it otherwise [9:09 PM]

<a class="chat-message-user-link" style="text-decoration-line: none;" href="" target="_blank">LFP6</a>: Thanks for stepping up to facilitate, couldn't do it otherwise [9:09 PM]